Sibling rivalry to fore again in DMK; Madurai unit dissolved
Chennai: Sibling rivalry in DMK came to the fore for yet another time on Saturday, with the party high command dissolving a Madurai unit and replacing it with a temporary body dominated by supporters of its Treasurer M K Stalin.
The action comes in the wake of a controversial poster being pasted by supporters of Karunanidhi`s Madurai-based son M K Alagiri in that town, making critical remarks in the context of the party`s general council held last month here. Alagiri did not attend the December 15 meeting.
The poster carrying a photo of Alagiri and his younger brother Stalin sharing the dais with Karunanidhi purportedly showed the party`s general council being held on January 30, which is Alagiri`s birthday, at the DMK headquarters here.
Subsequently, the Madurai Urban unit was dissolved today as some functionaries were found acting against the party interests and despite warning from Karunanidhi, DMK general secretary K Anbazhagan said in a statement.
Anbazhagan said a temporary committee has been formed with G Thalapathi, believed to be a Stalin supporter, at the helm of affairs. It has six other members.
Differences between Alagiri and his Chennai-based younger brother Stalin are well-known with both sparring on the issue of who is the political heir apparent to Karunanidhi.
While the 90 year-old DMK chief had at times hinted that Stalin could well be his successor, Alagiri had challenged that, asking if the party was a "mutt" where a senior pontiff could anoint his junior.
Prior to the 2011 elections when the AIADMK stormed to power, Madurai was believed to be Alagiri`s bastion with the leader enjoying tremendous clout in the southern districts. He had been earlier made the party`s Organising Secretary, South.
But since DMK`s rout in the 2011 elections and the party`s withdrawal from the Congress-led UPA cabinet over the Sri Lankan Tamils issue last year, the 63 year-old Madurai MP, a former Union Minister, has been maintaining a low profile.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof