Single judge`s order on two quarrying companies set aside
Chennai: A division bench of the Madras High Court on Friday set aside a single judge`s order granting various reliefs to PRP Exports and PRP Granites of Melur taluk.
Allowing the writ appeals by Tamil Nadu government, the division bench in Madurai quashed the order of the single judge.
After a report of the Madurai District Collector on May 19 last year alleged illegal quarrying of granites worth about Rs 16,000 crore, the government had issued order to seal the factory premises and freeze bank accounts of the companies.
Criminal and departmental proceedings were initiated under the Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) Act, Explosive Substances Act, TN Prevention of Illegal Mining, Transportation and Storage of Mineral Dealers Rules, TN Mines and Minerals Concessions Rules and TN Protection of Tanks and Eviction of Encroachments Act, against the companies.
The two companies had filed writ petitions in the High Court against the government order. The petitions were allowed by the single judge on November 2 last year.
The judge had then directed authorities to permit the companies to continue quarry operations, release the bank accounts and permit the companies to carry on their business in accordance with law and certain conditions.
The Tamil Nadu government had challenged this order.
The division bench comprising Justices KN Basha and P Devadass observed that the single judge`s direction would be "detrimental" to the ongoing probe in the criminal cases as well as the departmental proceedings.
It, however, said that the minor reliefs granted through the orders dated November 6, 2011 and January 8, 2013, should continue.
In the meantime, authorities should proceed with the departmental and criminal proceedings in accordance with law, the bench said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year