Situation in Ramanathapuram almost normal: Police
Ramanathapuram: Two days after the
Paramakudi police firing in which seven people were killed,
the situation in the district is "almost normal", though
tension prevails in certain remote pockets.
Additional police forces have been deployed and patrolling
intensified to monitor the fragile situation, police said.
In a fresh incident of violence in the district, five
persons sustained minor injuries when an unidentified gang of
more than 30 people hurled a petrol bomb at a bus at
Police said 50 people from Poosaripatti in Tiruchirappalli
were returning after visiting Kanyakumari, Tiruchendur and
Rameswaram when the bus was attacked.
The injured were given treatment and discharged. The bus
was also damaged in the attack.
No FIR has been filed though a massive manhunt had been
launched to nab the gang members, they said.
There were no untoward incidents in others parts of the
southern districts, police said.
Though the educational department asked the schools to open
today, attendance was thin due to lack of transport from the
The officials said shops also started opening from today,
and many bazaars looked normal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Is Kashmir major cause of tension between India and Pakistan? Pak Army says 'Yes'
- Cheers! Uttar Pradesh Cabinet approves sale of liquor in tetra packs
- Congress leader Sheila Dikshit to head panel for Indira Gandhi Birth Centenary Celebrations
- IIFA diaries: Athiya Shetty basking under Spanish sun!
- Vodafone to file prospectus for IPO in August, plans to raise $2.5 billion: Sources