Sivakasi cracker unit explosion: Toll goes up to five
Sivakasi (TN): With two more persons succumbing to their injuries in the hospital, the toll in the explosion at a cracker manufacturing unit near here has gone up to five even as three persons were arrested in the case, police said today.
While three persons died on the spot, eight others were injured, two of whom succumbed to their burn injuries last night at the government hospital, they said.
The victims were workers of the unit at Narayanapuram village, four km from Sivakasi, the country`s fireworks hub, and they were engaged in making crackers when the explosion occurred yesterday.
Police said two foremen at the unit and an accountant were arrested this morning under various IPC sections and Explosives Act.
The owner of the unit and its manager are absconding, police said, adding, a hunt is on to nab them.
The explosion apparently occurred due to friction between the chemicals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- 26/11 mastermind Hafiz Saeed announces 'jihad to free Pakistani rivers from India'
- Chinese ship inaugurates expanded Panama Canal
- Euro 2016: Germany cruise into last eight with 3-0 Slovakia win
- Security in Kashmir reviewed following Pampore attack; Amarnath Yatra to begin soon
- Southwest monsoon progresses in Gujarat