Sivakasi fire: NHRC seeks report from Tamil Nadu
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Friday sought a report from the Tamil Nadu government on the Sivakasi fire tragedy that claimed 39 lives.
The Commission issued a notice to state Chief Secretary asking him to submit the report within four weeks on the September five incident.
"The Commission registered this case on the basis of a media report forwarded by an NGO representative Anup Kumar Srivastava. Another complaint was sent by human rights activist R H Bansal," a Commission spokesperson said.
Reportedly, he said, about 90 per cent fireworks of the country are made in Sivakasi but no adequate safety measures have been ensured by the government there.
The complainants have requested a detailed enquiry in the matter and adequate compensation to the victims and families of the deceased, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karan Johar visits 'Befikre' sets, gets emotional cherishing 'Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge' days!
- Bizarre: Man puts wife at stake in IPL gambling, loses her
- Awesome! Taapsee Pannu gives a dose of royal purple to her gorgeous tresses! – See pic
- Stunner Shilpa Shetty gives ultimate 'summer fashion' goals in crisp white!
- Is Delhi on terror radar? This week's bus explosion in Haryana hints at 'something big'