Sivakasi fire: PM announces Rs 2 lakh ex-gratia
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday expressed deep shock over the Sivakasi firecracker tragedy in Tamil Nadu and condoled the deaths in the accident.
"The Prime Minister has expressed deep shock over the Sivakasi fireworks tragedy in which many lives were lost in Tamil Nadu this (Wednesday) morning," said a release from Prime Minister`s Office.
Manmohan Singh said he stood with the people of Tamil Nadu in the hour of grief and conveyed his "heartfelt condolences" to the members of the bereaved families.
The Prime Minister also announced an ex-gratia payment of Rs 2 lakh to the next of kin of each of the deceased and Rs 50,000 to those seriously injured in the fire.
At least 50 people were killed and more than 50 injured on Wednesday when an explosion tore through a fireworks factory in Sivakasi in Tamil Nadu, triggering a major fire.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media
- Sania Mirza trolls Sanjay Manjrekar on Twitter after completing 80 consecutive weeks as World No. 1 doubles player