Sivakasi fire toll rises to six
Sivakasi (TN): With one more person
succumbing to injuries at Madurai Rajaji government hospital today, the toll in the explosion at a cracker manufacturing unit near here has gone up to six, police said today.
Three persons died on the spot while eight others were injured, of whom two succumbed to burns day before yesterday and one this morning.
The other injured persons are undergoing treatment at the government hospital here.
The victims were workers of the unit at Narayanapuram village, four km from Sivakasi, the country`s fireworks hub, and they were engaged in making crackers when the explosion occurred on Sunday.
Two foremen at the unit and an accountant were arrested yesterday under various IPC sections and Explosives Act.
The owner of the unit and its manager are absconding, and a hunt is on to nab them.
The explosion apparently occurred due to friction among the chemicals.
Virudhunagar district collector Hariharan has issued orders to officials to inspect all fireworks units in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video