Sivakasi fire toll rises to six
Sivakasi (TN): With one more person
succumbing to injuries at Madurai Rajaji government hospital today, the toll in the explosion at a cracker manufacturing unit near here has gone up to six, police said today.
Three persons died on the spot while eight others were injured, of whom two succumbed to burns day before yesterday and one this morning.
The other injured persons are undergoing treatment at the government hospital here.
The victims were workers of the unit at Narayanapuram village, four km from Sivakasi, the country`s fireworks hub, and they were engaged in making crackers when the explosion occurred on Sunday.
Two foremen at the unit and an accountant were arrested yesterday under various IPC sections and Explosives Act.
The owner of the unit and its manager are absconding, and a hunt is on to nab them.
The explosion apparently occurred due to friction among the chemicals.
Virudhunagar district collector Hariharan has issued orders to officials to inspect all fireworks units in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth