Six DMDK legislators suspended from TN Assembly
Chennai: Six members of Tamil Nadu`s main opposition party DMDK were suspended on Monday for one year for attacking a rebel member in the assembly last month, leading to a walk-out by major opposition parties in protest against the decision.
The suspension decision was announced by assembly Speaker P Dhanapal following which members of opposition parties like DMK, Congress and the Communist party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) staged a walk out.
The six DMDK legislators who were handed out the suspension for attacking rebel member S Michael Rayappan in the assembly are: VC Chandirakumar, K Nallathambi, D Murugesan, S Senthil Kumar, B Parthasarathy and R Arulselvan.
Trouble started on the last day of the assembly session last month with DMDK rebel legislator K Tamil Azhagan claiming that he has earned a good name in his Tittagudi constituency after he met Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa for carrying out welfare measures.
Along with Azhagan, Sundarrajan representing Madurai Central, Rayappan from Radhapuram and Arun Pandian from Peravurani met Jayalalithaa October last year, and since then they have been functioning as a separate group supporting the ruling AIADMK.
The DMDK members then started shouting and dashed towards Azhagan after he asked them to follow in his footsteps to earn people`s goodwill.
Rayappan tried to stop them but they began hitting him. He was rescued by other members of the house while the speaker ordered eviction of the DMDK members, describing the attack as shameful.
While the AIADMK has a strength of 150 (excluding the speaker) in the 235-member house, the DMDK has 29 legislators and the DMK 23.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves