Six DMDK MLAs suspended for one year
Chennai: Six Opposition DMDK MLAs were Monday suspended from the Tamil Nadu Assembly for one year in connection with the assault on a dissident DMDK legislator inside the House last month.
Speaker P Dhanapal announced that V C Chandrakumar, K Nallathambi, D Murugesan, S Senthil Kumar, B Parthasarattny, and R Arulselvan were suspended for allegedly assaulting C Michael Rayappan, one of the four MLAs from the Vijayakant led party to have called on Chief Minister Jayalalithaa last year, much to the chagrin of the DMDK high command.
The six would not be entitled to MLAs` salaries and other perks during this period, the Speaker announced after the House adopted a resolution to discuss the matter.
Opposing the verdict, the other opposition parties DMK, CPI(M) and Congress staged a walk-out from the House.
During a short session in February, Royappan was assaulted by his fellow DMDK MLAs at the end of an argument, prompting the Speaker to refer the matter to the Privileges Committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar rape: Accused five persons still absconding, Police clueless
- UK's exit from EU: India prepared for all eventualities, says Shaktikanta Das
- Britain exits European Union, first country to leave 28-nation bloc
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi's speech at SCO meet - Full Text
- Mob destroys mosque as religious, ethnic tension rises in Myanmar
- Maoists torch six vehicles, blast forest office in Jharkhand
- Big B's '102 Not Out' to roll in 2016 end!
- Sanjay Leela Bhansali, Deepika Padukone, Ranveer Singh to re-unite soon?