Six DMDK MLAs suspended for one year
Chennai: Six Opposition DMDK MLAs were Monday suspended from the Tamil Nadu Assembly for one year in connection with the assault on a dissident DMDK legislator inside the House last month.
Speaker P Dhanapal announced that V C Chandrakumar, K Nallathambi, D Murugesan, S Senthil Kumar, B Parthasarattny, and R Arulselvan were suspended for allegedly assaulting C Michael Rayappan, one of the four MLAs from the Vijayakant led party to have called on Chief Minister Jayalalithaa last year, much to the chagrin of the DMDK high command.
The six would not be entitled to MLAs` salaries and other perks during this period, the Speaker announced after the House adopted a resolution to discuss the matter.
Opposing the verdict, the other opposition parties DMK, CPI(M) and Congress staged a walk-out from the House.
During a short session in February, Royappan was assaulted by his fellow DMDK MLAs at the end of an argument, prompting the Speaker to refer the matter to the Privileges Committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!