Six DMDK MLAs suspended for one year
Chennai: Six Opposition DMDK MLAs were Monday suspended from the Tamil Nadu Assembly for one year in connection with the assault on a dissident DMDK legislator inside the House last month.
Speaker P Dhanapal announced that V C Chandrakumar, K Nallathambi, D Murugesan, S Senthil Kumar, B Parthasarattny, and R Arulselvan were suspended for allegedly assaulting C Michael Rayappan, one of the four MLAs from the Vijayakant led party to have called on Chief Minister Jayalalithaa last year, much to the chagrin of the DMDK high command.
The six would not be entitled to MLAs` salaries and other perks during this period, the Speaker announced after the House adopted a resolution to discuss the matter.
Opposing the verdict, the other opposition parties DMK, CPI(M) and Congress staged a walk-out from the House.
During a short session in February, Royappan was assaulted by his fellow DMDK MLAs at the end of an argument, prompting the Speaker to refer the matter to the Privileges Committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH