Six DMDK MLAs suspended for one year
Chennai: Six Opposition DMDK MLAs were Monday suspended from the Tamil Nadu Assembly for one year in connection with the assault on a dissident DMDK legislator inside the House last month.
Speaker P Dhanapal announced that V C Chandrakumar, K Nallathambi, D Murugesan, S Senthil Kumar, B Parthasarattny, and R Arulselvan were suspended for allegedly assaulting C Michael Rayappan, one of the four MLAs from the Vijayakant led party to have called on Chief Minister Jayalalithaa last year, much to the chagrin of the DMDK high command.
The six would not be entitled to MLAs` salaries and other perks during this period, the Speaker announced after the House adopted a resolution to discuss the matter.
Opposing the verdict, the other opposition parties DMK, CPI(M) and Congress staged a walk-out from the House.
During a short session in February, Royappan was assaulted by his fellow DMDK MLAs at the end of an argument, prompting the Speaker to refer the matter to the Privileges Committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH