Six DMDK MLAs suspended for one year
Chennai: Six Opposition DMDK MLAs were Monday suspended from the Tamil Nadu Assembly for one year in connection with the assault on a dissident DMDK legislator inside the House last month.
Speaker P Dhanapal announced that V C Chandrakumar, K Nallathambi, D Murugesan, S Senthil Kumar, B Parthasarattny, and R Arulselvan were suspended for allegedly assaulting C Michael Rayappan, one of the four MLAs from the Vijayakant led party to have called on Chief Minister Jayalalithaa last year, much to the chagrin of the DMDK high command.
The six would not be entitled to MLAs` salaries and other perks during this period, the Speaker announced after the House adopted a resolution to discuss the matter.
Opposing the verdict, the other opposition parties DMK, CPI(M) and Congress staged a walk-out from the House.
During a short session in February, Royappan was assaulted by his fellow DMDK MLAs at the end of an argument, prompting the Speaker to refer the matter to the Privileges Committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- India Red vs India Green: Bowlers dominate first day of Duleep Trophy tie
- Hillary Clinton holds lead over Donald Trump, but trails him among white voters: poll
- Sensitive data on India's Scorpene submarines leaked
- Second US service member killed in Afghanistan in 2016
- 8 out of 10 French do not want Nicolas Sarkozy back