Six elephants die in a month at Erode
Erode: Six elephants died in the district
in a month`s span some due to ailments or in accidents besides other reasons, forest officials said Tuesday.
Last year 23 elephants died in the district which was
higher than the previous years, officials said.
But the department has controlled the poaching of
elephants, they said.
There are about 1200-odd elephants in the Erode and
Sathyamangalam forest divisions.
Listing the dead elephants, officials said on January 5,
forest personnel noticed carcasses of a 20-year-old female and
its two-month old male calf in the Chennampatty forest range
The officials said the death was due to some disease following the animals` immune system failing.
Similarly on the same day, officials noticed a highly
decomposed carcass of an elephant at Vattamalai in
Kothamangalam forest range area.The veterinary doctor
concluded that it might have died of attack by tigers or
panthers whose population is high in the range.
Another elephant was also found dead in the Anthiyur
forest area due to formation of worms in its stomach.
On January 27, a female elephant was run over by a bus
when it tried to cross the National Highway at Hassanure and
two days later, a tusker was gored to death by another
elephant in Thalamalai forests.
Conservator of Forests D.Arun said steps have been taken
to provide necessary water and other food for the elephants
and trenches are being dug to prevent them from entering
private lands and causing damage to crops.
Drivers of vehicles have been advised to reduce speed if
they notice any elephant herd crossing the road in the forest
ranges. Action would be taken against drivers who knock down
elephants, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla