Six suspected Naxalites detained under NSA
Dharmapuri: Six suspected Naxalites, who were recently arrested from a Dalit colony in the district where the marriage of a Dalit boy to a Hindu girl triggered violence in three villages in 2012, were today detained under the the National Security Act.
District Collector K Vivekanandan issued the order today to detain G.Sankar (36), S.Sakthi (36), M.Durai (47), G.Asokan (30), S.Adhiyaman (30) and C.Santhosh (20), police said.
Investigations found that the six, who were arrested on June 28 and lodged in the Salem Central Jail, had allegedly received training from Maoists in neighbouring states, police said, adding, based on the reports Dharmapuri Superintendent of Police Asra Garg recommended to detain them under NSA.
They had planned to conduct a training camp, police said.
The six persons were arrested from Natham colony near a burial ground where the body of Dalit youth E Elavarasan had been laid to rest. His body was found on a railway track on July 4 last year.
Police had also seized two country-made guns and several country-made bombs.
Elavarasan`s death had come barely hours after his wife Divya had stated she would never go back to him and would live with her mother.
Her marriage and her father`s subsequent suicide had triggered violence in three villages of Natham, Kondamapatty and Annanagar on November 7 2012 when about 296 huts belonging to Dalits were torched, allegedly by caste Hindus.
Following the arrest of the six persons, the police special team had arrested one Thiruppathi of Natham colony in connection with the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!