Six suspected Naxalites detained under NSA
Dharmapuri: Six suspected Naxalites, who were recently arrested from a Dalit colony in the district where the marriage of a Dalit boy to a Hindu girl triggered violence in three villages in 2012, were today detained under the the National Security Act.
District Collector K Vivekanandan issued the order today to detain G.Sankar (36), S.Sakthi (36), M.Durai (47), G.Asokan (30), S.Adhiyaman (30) and C.Santhosh (20), police said.
Investigations found that the six, who were arrested on June 28 and lodged in the Salem Central Jail, had allegedly received training from Maoists in neighbouring states, police said, adding, based on the reports Dharmapuri Superintendent of Police Asra Garg recommended to detain them under NSA.
They had planned to conduct a training camp, police said.
The six persons were arrested from Natham colony near a burial ground where the body of Dalit youth E Elavarasan had been laid to rest. His body was found on a railway track on July 4 last year.
Police had also seized two country-made guns and several country-made bombs.
Elavarasan`s death had come barely hours after his wife Divya had stated she would never go back to him and would live with her mother.
Her marriage and her father`s subsequent suicide had triggered violence in three villages of Natham, Kondamapatty and Annanagar on November 7 2012 when about 296 huts belonging to Dalits were torched, allegedly by caste Hindus.
Following the arrest of the six persons, the police special team had arrested one Thiruppathi of Natham colony in connection with the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read