Six suspected Naxalites detained under NSA
Dharmapuri: Six suspected Naxalites, who were recently arrested from a Dalit colony in the district where the marriage of a Dalit boy to a Hindu girl triggered violence in three villages in 2012, were today detained under the the National Security Act.
District Collector K Vivekanandan issued the order today to detain G.Sankar (36), S.Sakthi (36), M.Durai (47), G.Asokan (30), S.Adhiyaman (30) and C.Santhosh (20), police said.
Investigations found that the six, who were arrested on June 28 and lodged in the Salem Central Jail, had allegedly received training from Maoists in neighbouring states, police said, adding, based on the reports Dharmapuri Superintendent of Police Asra Garg recommended to detain them under NSA.
They had planned to conduct a training camp, police said.
The six persons were arrested from Natham colony near a burial ground where the body of Dalit youth E Elavarasan had been laid to rest. His body was found on a railway track on July 4 last year.
Police had also seized two country-made guns and several country-made bombs.
Elavarasan`s death had come barely hours after his wife Divya had stated she would never go back to him and would live with her mother.
Her marriage and her father`s subsequent suicide had triggered violence in three villages of Natham, Kondamapatty and Annanagar on November 7 2012 when about 296 huts belonging to Dalits were torched, allegedly by caste Hindus.
Following the arrest of the six persons, the police special team had arrested one Thiruppathi of Natham colony in connection with the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Kerry arrives in India for strategic dialogue; terrorism emanating from Pakistan, visa issues on agenda
- UP polls: Rahul Gandhi to cover 2,500 km, 233 Assembly constituencies, 39 districts, but no big rallies
- Lionel Messi's Argentina return hampered by groin injury, Sergio Aguero too ruled out
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4
- ISS astronaut Jeff Williams shares captivating image of the USA's west coast! - See pic