SL MP on pilgrimage returns after facing protests
Nagapattinam: A Sri Lankan MP on a pilgrimage to the temple town of Thirukkadaiyur in this district had to return on Thursday after activists of various political parties, including pro-Eelam outfits, staged a demonstration in that town.
Police said the MP Karunaratne Jayasurya had arrived at the town last night to offer worship at the famous Lord Amirthakadeswara temple.
This morning pro-Eelam activists came to know of his visit and gathered in front of the hotel where he was reportedly staying, along with workers of DMK, BJP, MDMK, PMK, VCK, Naam Thamizhar Iyakkam and shouted slogans against him and demanded he go back immediately.
Tension prevailed in the area for some time and a large number of policemen were deployed.
Temple sources said the MP did not visit the shrine today.
This is the fourth such incident in Nagapattinam district in recent years.
In 2010, the Speaker of Sri Lankan Parliament W J M Lokubandara, who visited Vaitheeswarankoil faced similar protests. A few months later, slippers were hurled at Neomal Perera, Sri Lankan Deputy Minister of Fisheries at Karaikal when he was proceeding to Vailankanni.
In September 2012, a group of 178 Sri Lankan pilgrims to Vailankanni had to return without offering worship due to protests.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview