SL MP on pilgrimage returns after facing protests
Nagapattinam: A Sri Lankan MP on a pilgrimage to the temple town of Thirukkadaiyur in this district had to return on Thursday after activists of various political parties, including pro-Eelam outfits, staged a demonstration in that town.
Police said the MP Karunaratne Jayasurya had arrived at the town last night to offer worship at the famous Lord Amirthakadeswara temple.
This morning pro-Eelam activists came to know of his visit and gathered in front of the hotel where he was reportedly staying, along with workers of DMK, BJP, MDMK, PMK, VCK, Naam Thamizhar Iyakkam and shouted slogans against him and demanded he go back immediately.
Tension prevailed in the area for some time and a large number of policemen were deployed.
Temple sources said the MP did not visit the shrine today.
This is the fourth such incident in Nagapattinam district in recent years.
In 2010, the Speaker of Sri Lankan Parliament W J M Lokubandara, who visited Vaitheeswarankoil faced similar protests. A few months later, slippers were hurled at Neomal Perera, Sri Lankan Deputy Minister of Fisheries at Karaikal when he was proceeding to Vailankanni.
In September 2012, a group of 178 Sri Lankan pilgrims to Vailankanni had to return without offering worship due to protests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday