SL Tamils issue: TNA Parliamentarian calls on BJP leaders
Chennai: Coming out in full support of the demands for boycotting Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting at Colombo, TNA leader and Lankan Parliamentarian R Sambanthan on Tuesday urged India to press for the 13th amendment to empower Lankans in the island nation.
"We are asking only for justice...We are asking only for our rights. India should prevail upon Lanka to empower the Lankan Tamils as per the 13th Amendment," he told reporters here.
As per the 13th Amendment that followed the Indo-Sri Lankan Accord of July 1987, Sri Lankan government had agreed to devolve some authority to the provinces.
"I will not say anything contrary to the views expressed by the political parties in Tamil Nadu. This should be considered and decided by the Centre," he opined, when asked whether India should stay away from CHOGM.
Sambanthan, who is here to seek support of political parties for the cause of Tamils living in Sri Lanka, met BJP officebearers and would be calling on leaders of other parties.
Expressing displeasure over Sri Lankan government for having failed to rehabilitate the displaced Tamils in the island, Sambanthan said India had the onus to ensure justice for Tamils.
Pon Radhakrishnan, BJP state president, national executive member L Ganesan, national secretary Tamilisai Soundarajan, state secretary, Vanathi Srinivasan were present during the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!