Slowdown, severe drought has hit TN economy: Jayalalithaa
Chennai: Economic slowdown and last year`s drought in the state had affected Tamil Nadu`s economy Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Thursday said but expressed confidence of reversing the trend.
In her opening remarks at the Collectors` conference here, an annual stock-taking exercise, Jayalalithaa said slowdown has affected economic performance of the state also.
"The severe drought in the state during 2012 impacted growth particularly in the agriculture and allied activities sector. We need to focus on making all efforts to revive economic growth and put it back on a high growth trajectory," she said.
Jayalalitha said she was "quite confident" that with sustained and focussed efforts her government was undertaking across all sectors, "the state would be able to achieve the growth target for 2013-2014."
Jayalalithaa underlined her government`s commitment for an inclusive growth model covering all sections of society including the "most vulnerable and marginalised" ones such as Adi Dravidars, Tribals, BCs and MBCs, among others.
She exhorted the District Collectors to live up to the image of being welfare officers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack