Software engineer gets life term for kidnap and rape in TN
Coimbatore: A 27-year old software engineer was today sentenced to life imprisonment by a court here for raping a girl on the promise of marrying her in 2007.
Mahila Court Judge MP Subramaniam sentenced Sam to undergo seven years RI and imposed a fine of Rs 10,000 for kidnapping the girl and Rs one lakh as compensation for rape.
The sentences would run concurrently.
The judge ordered attachment of the convict`s property if he failed to provide the fine amount to the girl.
Four other accused -- his parents and two friends -- were acquitted by the court.
The prosecution case was that Sam and the girl were in love since their school days and continued their relationship after joining college.
He had taken the girl to Kodaikanal and raped her after giving some sedative mixed soft drink on June 7, 2007.
For next three days, he had physical relationship with her on the promise of marrying her, but later went back on his word following opposition from his parents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Srinagar encounter: Two suspected cop killers gunned down as search-op against militants continues
- Van Gaal sacked by United, Mourinho poised to step in
- Iraq justice ministry announces execution of 22 convicts
- UK grants asylum to Maldives' ex-president Mohamed Nasheed
- North Korean envoy rejects Trump overture to meet leader