Sonia Gandhi tells Karunanidhi she shares his concern about Lankan Tamils
Chennai: Stating that she shared the concerns of DMK chief M Karunanidhi regarding Sri Lankan Tamils issue, UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi has told him that she "shall take up the matter" with the External Affairs Minister.
"I share your concern regarding the disturbing developments in Sri Lanka vis-a-vis the Tamils. I shall take up the matter with the Minister of External Affairs (Salman Khurshid)," she said in her January 30, 2013 letter to Karunanidhi.
The Congress President`s response to a January 19, 2013 letter by Karunanidhi was posted on DMK leader`s page in micro-blogging site Twitter.
In identical letters to Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Karunanidhi, whose DMK is a key constituent of ruling UPA, had claimed Tamils in Sri Lanka were living in an "oppressive environment," and sought the Centre`s intervention to "stop this atrocity," as India had a "moral obligation" to do so.
Meanwhile, the Karunanidhi-led Tamil Eealam Supporters` Organisation on Monday announced a `black outfit` protest here on February 8 opposing the proposed visit by Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse to India.
A TESO meeting presided by Karunanidhi also resolved to hold a national conference in Delhi in March to highlight the `sufferings and difficulties` faced by Lankan Tamils, proposing to invite all political leaders, a release said.
Holding Rajapakse instrumental for the sufferings of the ethnic minority in the island nation, TESO resolved that Tamils in India will never accept his visit to the country.
"He considers India`s hand of friendship and its sense of hospitality as its weakness. Central government should not encourage his visit to India," it said.
The Lankan President is scheduled to arrive here soon on a visit to Bodh Gaya and Tirupati.
Among others, the meeting asked India to support a US-sponsored Sri Lanka specific resolution in the United Nations Human Rights Council next month.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know