Sonia Gandhi tells Karunanidhi she shares his concern about Lankan Tamils
Chennai: Stating that she shared the concerns of DMK chief M Karunanidhi regarding Sri Lankan Tamils issue, UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi has told him that she "shall take up the matter" with the External Affairs Minister.
"I share your concern regarding the disturbing developments in Sri Lanka vis-a-vis the Tamils. I shall take up the matter with the Minister of External Affairs (Salman Khurshid)," she said in her January 30, 2013 letter to Karunanidhi.
The Congress President`s response to a January 19, 2013 letter by Karunanidhi was posted on DMK leader`s page in micro-blogging site Twitter.
In identical letters to Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Karunanidhi, whose DMK is a key constituent of ruling UPA, had claimed Tamils in Sri Lanka were living in an "oppressive environment," and sought the Centre`s intervention to "stop this atrocity," as India had a "moral obligation" to do so.
Meanwhile, the Karunanidhi-led Tamil Eealam Supporters` Organisation on Monday announced a `black outfit` protest here on February 8 opposing the proposed visit by Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse to India.
A TESO meeting presided by Karunanidhi also resolved to hold a national conference in Delhi in March to highlight the `sufferings and difficulties` faced by Lankan Tamils, proposing to invite all political leaders, a release said.
Holding Rajapakse instrumental for the sufferings of the ethnic minority in the island nation, TESO resolved that Tamils in India will never accept his visit to the country.
"He considers India`s hand of friendship and its sense of hospitality as its weakness. Central government should not encourage his visit to India," it said.
The Lankan President is scheduled to arrive here soon on a visit to Bodh Gaya and Tirupati.
Among others, the meeting asked India to support a US-sponsored Sri Lanka specific resolution in the United Nations Human Rights Council next month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’