Southern Railway to observe "Swathi Day" in honour of Chennai blast victim
Chennai: Remembering the twin blast victim Swathi Parchuri, a software engineer, and re-dedicating itself to passenger safety, Southern Railway will observe every first working day May as "Swathi Day", a top official said on Monday.
24-year old Swathi, a software engineer with TCS, was killed and 14 injured when two low-intensity bombs went off onboard the Bangalore-Guwahati Express train on May 1 soon after it pulled into the Central Station here.
Participating in a condolence meeting here, Southern Railway General Manager Rakesh Misra said "we have decided to mark every first working day of May all over Southern Railway as Swathi Day."
Praising Swathi as a brilliant woman whose life was sniffed out in her prime of life, Misra said that "on that day (Swathi Day] we will rededicate ourselves to passenger security and review our security preparedness."
Also, security seminars for all front-line staff will be held so that the level of vigil could be enhanced, he noted. Passengers will also be sensitised on need for security precaution, he added.
He awarded railway employees who rendered assistance to the blast victims "notwithstanding the fear of another blast.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India