Southern Railway to observe "Swathi Day" in honour of Chennai blast victim
Chennai: Remembering the twin blast victim Swathi Parchuri, a software engineer, and re-dedicating itself to passenger safety, Southern Railway will observe every first working day May as "Swathi Day", a top official said on Monday.
24-year old Swathi, a software engineer with TCS, was killed and 14 injured when two low-intensity bombs went off onboard the Bangalore-Guwahati Express train on May 1 soon after it pulled into the Central Station here.
Participating in a condolence meeting here, Southern Railway General Manager Rakesh Misra said "we have decided to mark every first working day of May all over Southern Railway as Swathi Day."
Praising Swathi as a brilliant woman whose life was sniffed out in her prime of life, Misra said that "on that day (Swathi Day] we will rededicate ourselves to passenger security and review our security preparedness."
Also, security seminars for all front-line staff will be held so that the level of vigil could be enhanced, he noted. Passengers will also be sensitised on need for security precaution, he added.
He awarded railway employees who rendered assistance to the blast victims "notwithstanding the fear of another blast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- BSNL waives installation charges on new landline connections
- Xiaomi Mi 5 gets a huge price cut; know the new rate here
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin poses as journalist during Carlos Brathwaite's press conference
- Rio Olympics fallout: Sports Ministry sets up inquiry to probe apathy in OP Jaisha's case
- SHOCKING! 1,012 rapes in UP in last 5 months, says govt