Southern Railways directed to pay Rs 1.30 lakh compensation
Chennai: A civil court Thursday directed the Southern Railways to pay a compensation of Rs. 1.30 lakh to a person who sustained head injury after a wooden-sleeper fell from the railway track while he was riding his two-wheeler through a underpass six years ago.
Ramakrishna Rao, a designer with a private company in Parrys, was on his way to the office when the mishap occurred on November 1,2007. Even though he was wearing helmet, he sustained injury as the 40 kg sleeper came down crashing.
He was unable to attend office for more than six months and filed a suit claiming Rs two lakh compensation from the Southern Railways for its negligence in maintaining the Railway Track. The Railways submitted there was no negligence on their part.
Pronouncing the judgment, the Second Assistant City Civil Judge G. Vinobha said eyewitnesses said the sleeper fell on the head of the victim and directed the SR to pay Rs.1.30 lakh as compensation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest