Sri Lanka detains, releases over 220 Indian fishermen
Chennai: The Sri Lankan Navy Wednesday detained over 220 Indian fishermen and later released them, unconfirmed reports said.
"Over 220 Indian fishermen were detained by the Sri Lankan Navy and taken to Sri Lanka. As of now, we are told that all the fishermen have been released. We are trying to confirm that. Fishermen in around 15 boats have confirmed they have been released," an official of the Tamil Nadu fisheries department told a news agency over phone from Nagapattinam, around 320 km from here.
The official said the fishermen were fishing in the Palk Strait. He said the fishermen in 28 boats are from Tamil Nadu while four vessels are from the Karaikal region in Puducherry.
Strongly condemning the incident, PMK leader S. Ramadoss, in a statement, said the fishermen were fishing in Indian waters when the Sri Lankan Navy trespassed and arrested them besides seizing their fishing boats.
The detention of Indian fishermen in large numbers and their boats is to be condemned strongly, Ramadoss said. "It is a challenge to India`s sovereignty," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks