Sri Lanka detains, releases over 220 Indian fishermen
Chennai: The Sri Lankan Navy Wednesday detained over 220 Indian fishermen and later released them, unconfirmed reports said.
"Over 220 Indian fishermen were detained by the Sri Lankan Navy and taken to Sri Lanka. As of now, we are told that all the fishermen have been released. We are trying to confirm that. Fishermen in around 15 boats have confirmed they have been released," an official of the Tamil Nadu fisheries department told a news agency over phone from Nagapattinam, around 320 km from here.
The official said the fishermen were fishing in the Palk Strait. He said the fishermen in 28 boats are from Tamil Nadu while four vessels are from the Karaikal region in Puducherry.
Strongly condemning the incident, PMK leader S. Ramadoss, in a statement, said the fishermen were fishing in Indian waters when the Sri Lankan Navy trespassed and arrested them besides seizing their fishing boats.
The detention of Indian fishermen in large numbers and their boats is to be condemned strongly, Ramadoss said. "It is a challenge to India`s sovereignty," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'