Sri Lanka Navy denies arresting Indian fishermen
Colombo: Sri Lankan Navy on Sunday denied the arrest of nine Indian fishermen hailing from Pudukottai district in Tamil Nadu, as reported in the Indian media.
"We have not arrested any Indian fishermen anywhere", Commander Kosala Warnakulasuriya, the naval spokesman said.
Indian media had reported that nine fishermen were arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy when they were fishing mid-sea.
The incident comes two days after Sri Lanka freed 19 Indian fishermen arrested last month, following a court order.
Early this month, some 56 fishermen had been arrested on two separate occasions by the Sri Lankan Navy on charges of poaching in Sri Lanka`s international maritime limits.
A Sri Lankan court has extended the remand of the 26 fishermen from Karaikal upto April 19 while the case relating to the arrest of 30 fishermen from Rameswaram on April 6 has been been posted for hearing on April 18.
Also, on April 12, six fishermen, who ventured into the sea from Karaikal were injured when they were allegedly attacked by Sri Lankan naval men off Kodiakarai coast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog