Sri Lanka Navy denies arresting Indian fishermen
Colombo: Sri Lankan Navy on Sunday denied the arrest of nine Indian fishermen hailing from Pudukottai district in Tamil Nadu, as reported in the Indian media.
"We have not arrested any Indian fishermen anywhere", Commander Kosala Warnakulasuriya, the naval spokesman said.
Indian media had reported that nine fishermen were arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy when they were fishing mid-sea.
The incident comes two days after Sri Lanka freed 19 Indian fishermen arrested last month, following a court order.
Early this month, some 56 fishermen had been arrested on two separate occasions by the Sri Lankan Navy on charges of poaching in Sri Lanka`s international maritime limits.
A Sri Lankan court has extended the remand of the 26 fishermen from Karaikal upto April 19 while the case relating to the arrest of 30 fishermen from Rameswaram on April 6 has been been posted for hearing on April 18.
Also, on April 12, six fishermen, who ventured into the sea from Karaikal were injured when they were allegedly attacked by Sri Lankan naval men off Kodiakarai coast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees