Sri Lanka releases arrested TN fishermen
Chennai: Sixteen fishermen, arrested by Sri Lankan Naval personnel for allegedly fishing in the island nation`s international maritime boundary on March 3, have been released and they will return to tonight,Tamil Nadu government said on Tuesday.
The fishermen had been released following efforts taken by Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa who twice wrote to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh seeking Centre to ensure their release, a press release said.
Further, she had advised state government officials to contact the Indian High Commission in Colombo and take steps for their release, the release said.
The fishermen from Tuticorin in southern Tamil Nadu were fishing in three mechanised boats and one country-boat fitted with outboard motor off Kalpittiya when they were arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy.
The Navy alleged that the fishermen were fishing in the island nation`s international maritime boundary.
The fishermen have been released alongwith their boats and would return to India tonight by the sea route, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued