Sri Lanka releases arrested TN fishermen
Chennai: Sixteen fishermen, arrested by Sri Lankan Naval personnel for allegedly fishing in the island nation`s international maritime boundary on March 3, have been released and they will return to tonight,Tamil Nadu government said on Tuesday.
The fishermen had been released following efforts taken by Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa who twice wrote to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh seeking Centre to ensure their release, a press release said.
Further, she had advised state government officials to contact the Indian High Commission in Colombo and take steps for their release, the release said.
The fishermen from Tuticorin in southern Tamil Nadu were fishing in three mechanised boats and one country-boat fitted with outboard motor off Kalpittiya when they were arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy.
The Navy alleged that the fishermen were fishing in the island nation`s international maritime boundary.
The fishermen have been released alongwith their boats and would return to India tonight by the sea route, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi