Sri Lanka releases arrested TN fishermen
Chennai: Sixteen fishermen, arrested by Sri Lankan Naval personnel for allegedly fishing in the island nation`s international maritime boundary on March 3, have been released and they will return to tonight,Tamil Nadu government said on Tuesday.
The fishermen had been released following efforts taken by Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa who twice wrote to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh seeking Centre to ensure their release, a press release said.
Further, she had advised state government officials to contact the Indian High Commission in Colombo and take steps for their release, the release said.
The fishermen from Tuticorin in southern Tamil Nadu were fishing in three mechanised boats and one country-boat fitted with outboard motor off Kalpittiya when they were arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy.
The Navy alleged that the fishermen were fishing in the island nation`s international maritime boundary.
The fishermen have been released alongwith their boats and would return to India tonight by the sea route, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know