Sri Lanka releases arrested TN fishermen
Chennai: Sixteen fishermen, arrested by Sri Lankan Naval personnel for allegedly fishing in the island nation`s international maritime boundary on March 3, have been released and they will return to tonight,Tamil Nadu government said on Tuesday.
The fishermen had been released following efforts taken by Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa who twice wrote to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh seeking Centre to ensure their release, a press release said.
Further, she had advised state government officials to contact the Indian High Commission in Colombo and take steps for their release, the release said.
The fishermen from Tuticorin in southern Tamil Nadu were fishing in three mechanised boats and one country-boat fitted with outboard motor off Kalpittiya when they were arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy.
The Navy alleged that the fishermen were fishing in the island nation`s international maritime boundary.
The fishermen have been released alongwith their boats and would return to India tonight by the sea route, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what