Sri Lanka warns citizens against visiting Tamil Nadu
Colombo: Sri Lanka on Monday issued a travel advisory asking its citizen not to visit Tamil Nadu until further notice in the wake of "increasing number of instances of intimidation" of Sri Lankans in the state.
"The Government of Sri Lanka regrets the increasing number of instances of intimidation of Sri Lankan nationals visiting Tamil Nadu for the purposes of tourism, religious pilgrimages, sporting and cultural activities and professional training," the External Affairs Ministry said here in a statement.
The Government of Sri Lanka is constrained to request Sri Lankan nationals in the interest of their security to desist from undertaking visits to Tamil Nadu until further notice, the statement said.
In the event there is a compelling reason to visit Tamil Nadu, such a visit should take place following prior timely intimation to the Sri Lanka Deputy High Commission in Chennai, the statement added.
The ministry said 184 Sri Lankan pilgrims visiting the Poornimatha Church in Thanjavur have been mobbed today and taken refuge in the church.
On Sunday, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa ordered sending back a Sri Lankan football team home and suspension of a state official for allowing them to play a friendly match in Chennai.
She was also against India training Lankan military personnel, saying the island nation`s forces had committed war crimes against Tamils.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Look who's dining together? Navya SPOTTED with Aryan Khan!
- Watch: Mars makes its closest approach to Earth in 11 years today!
- 27 flights diverted as bad weather triggers chaos in Delhi Airport
- CHSE Odisha 12th (+2) Arts and Commerce Result 2016 is expected to be declared today on 30th May - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in
- Wow! Indian professionals 'most confident' globally, says a survey