Sri Lankan MP claims not allowed to participate in Ganesh festival
Rameswaran: A Sri Lankan MP on Tuesday claimed he was denied permission to participate in a Ganesh Chathurthi procession here.
Seeniththamby Yoheswaran, MP from Mattakalappu in Sri Lanka, told reporters here that police, citing prohibitory orders, did not permit him to participate in the function organised by Hindu Makkal Katchi, supporters of Sri Lankan Tamils.
He, however, said he was allowed to offer prayers at the temple here.
Yoheswaran said he would meet Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa and convey his dismay at not being allowed to participate in the procession.
Prohibitory orders were clamped from yesterday to October 31 in Ramanathapuram district to prevent any untoward incidents during Dalit leader Immanuvel Sekaran`s death anniversary and `Thevar Guru Pooja`.
The death anniversary of Immanuvel Sekaran is to be observed on September 11 and Thevar Guru pooja on October 30 and 31.
He said it was distressing to note that the Lankan government, which had got the islet of Katchatheevu as a `gift`, was not permitting Indian fishermen to fish in the area.
Katchatheevu was ceded to Sri Lanka by India in the 1970s.
The MP described the north and eastern provinces of Lanka as the "hereditary and traditional dwelling place of Tamils" and alleged the island nation`s Army had been deployed in full strength in both provinces, violating the Indo-Sri Lanka accord of 1987.
He said elections to these provinces would be held and retired judge Vigneswaran would participate in it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak