Sri Lankan MP claims not allowed to participate in Ganesh festival
Rameswaran: A Sri Lankan MP on Tuesday claimed he was denied permission to participate in a Ganesh Chathurthi procession here.
Seeniththamby Yoheswaran, MP from Mattakalappu in Sri Lanka, told reporters here that police, citing prohibitory orders, did not permit him to participate in the function organised by Hindu Makkal Katchi, supporters of Sri Lankan Tamils.
He, however, said he was allowed to offer prayers at the temple here.
Yoheswaran said he would meet Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa and convey his dismay at not being allowed to participate in the procession.
Prohibitory orders were clamped from yesterday to October 31 in Ramanathapuram district to prevent any untoward incidents during Dalit leader Immanuvel Sekaran`s death anniversary and `Thevar Guru Pooja`.
The death anniversary of Immanuvel Sekaran is to be observed on September 11 and Thevar Guru pooja on October 30 and 31.
He said it was distressing to note that the Lankan government, which had got the islet of Katchatheevu as a `gift`, was not permitting Indian fishermen to fish in the area.
Katchatheevu was ceded to Sri Lanka by India in the 1970s.
The MP described the north and eastern provinces of Lanka as the "hereditary and traditional dwelling place of Tamils" and alleged the island nation`s Army had been deployed in full strength in both provinces, violating the Indo-Sri Lanka accord of 1987.
He said elections to these provinces would be held and retired judge Vigneswaran would participate in it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore