Sri Lankan navy detains fishing boats near IMBL
Rameswaram: Over 513 mechanised boats of
Indian fishermen were allegedly detained at gunpoint by Sri
Lankan navy personnel near the International Maritime Boundary
Line off this coastal town, fisheries department officials
said on Thursday.
The officials, quoting the fishermen, said six Sri Lankan
patrol vessels surrounded them at around 9.00 AM yesterday and
detained them for about 15 hours.
The fishermen, who returned this morning, alleged that an
Indian Coast Guard patrol rushed to the spot on seeing them
but went away after a while without making any efforts to free
The Lankan naval personnel warned them not to `trespass`
into Sri Lankan waters and ordered them to leave the area,
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler