Stalin welcomes SC verdict on Samacheer Kalvi
Tirunelveli (TN): DMK leader and former
Deputy Chief Minister M K Stalin on Tuesday welcomed the Supreme
Court`s verdict on `Samacheer Kalvi` or uniform education
system and said the government should implement it
"It is a victory for the students and (the scheme) should
be implemented," Stalin said.
He was here to visit DMK functionaries lodged in
Palyamkottai Central Prison.
On the AIADMK government withdrawing various projects and
welfare schemes of the earlier government, Stalin said if
necessary the DMK would go to court, like in this case,
demanding implementation of its projects.
In a setback to the Jayalalithaa government in Tamil
Nadu, the Supreme Court today rejected its plea for scrapping
the uniform education system brought in by the earlier DMK
government and directed its immediate implementation.
Asked why DMK MLAs were not attending the Assembly
proceedings, Stalin said the party had been demanding a
seating arrangement as the one that prevailed earlier, by
which MLAs of respective political parties could sit together.
"The present seating arrangement is not safe. We don`t
feel it is safe for us. If they change the seating
arrangement, then we will attend the Assembly," he said.
Stalin was speaking to reporters after meeting DMK
functionaries detained under the Goondas Act, including
`Pottu` Suresh and V K Gurusamy, both close associates of
Union Minister M K Alagiri, and Poondi Kalaivanan, the
Tiruvarur District DMK Secretary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter