Stalin`s son surrenders Hummer before CBI
New Delhi: DMK leader M K Stalin has surrendered his imported Hummer before CBI which was on its trail as it was allegedly one of the illegal vehicles imported by a Hyderabad based businessman in violation of customs laws.
Sources said Stalin`s son Udayanidhi came to the Chennai office of the agency on Friday and handed over Sports Utility Vehicle Hummer which was imported in 2007 and registered in his name.
They said the car was one of the vehicles which were allegedly imported by Hyderabad businessman Alex C Joseph evading customs duties and sold to influential people at attractive rates.
In a nation-wide search operation in March, CBI had recovered at least 33 luxury vehicles from various places which were alleged to have been imported by Joseph in alleged violation of the laws.
The search by the CBI team at the residence of Stalin to look for a Hummer, just couple of days after DMK withdrew support from UPA Government, had sparked a political storm with the agency launching an internal inquiry to see if there were any procedural lapses in searches.
The sources said agency has booked a Directorate of Revenue Intelligence Officer Muruganandan who was allegedly acting in collusion with Joseph in the vehicle import racket.
They said Jospeh is still untraceable and agency is looking for him.
The CBI had seized 11 cars belonging to BCCI chief and India Cements promoter N Srinivasan as part of its raids in Chennai, sources said. The sources added that Srinivasan had allegedly evaded paying tax on the imported cars.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- Woman set ablaze in UP, Akhilesh orders magisterial probe
- Waterlogging, traffic jams in Delhi after rains
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi