State govt for removing sugar from futures trading
Chennai: The Tamil Nadu government Friday decided to open more vegetable shops and farmer markets to sell vegetables at cheap rates and to ask the central government to re-impose ban on future trading in sugar.
At a meeting Chief Minister M Karunanidhi chaired and Deputy Chief Minister MK Stalin and other ministers attended, it was decided to hold sufficient stocks of food items and make these available to the public through ration shops. The meeting also chalked out measures to reduce the prices of food items.
According to the state government, around 20 tonnes of vegetables are currently sold through cooperative stores.
The meeting decided to open more vegetable shops in areas within major municipal corporation limits.
Last month, the state government decided to retail onion and other vegetables through cooperative stores.
The government also decided to open 25 more farmer markets - where farmers can sell their produce directly - in the state, taking the number to 179.
According to officials, currently vegetables worth around Rs.3.4 crore are daily traded by the growers and around 400,000 customers frequent the farmer markets across the state.
The state government also decided to draw out plans to increase production of pulses and oil seeds, modernise agriculture product markets and set up cold storages.
The meeting decided to study the productivity of various districts in respect of paddy and other crops and take appropriate action to increase their production.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof