State govt for removing sugar from futures trading
Chennai: The Tamil Nadu government Friday decided to open more vegetable shops and farmer markets to sell vegetables at cheap rates and to ask the central government to re-impose ban on future trading in sugar.
At a meeting Chief Minister M Karunanidhi chaired and Deputy Chief Minister MK Stalin and other ministers attended, it was decided to hold sufficient stocks of food items and make these available to the public through ration shops. The meeting also chalked out measures to reduce the prices of food items.
According to the state government, around 20 tonnes of vegetables are currently sold through cooperative stores.
The meeting decided to open more vegetable shops in areas within major municipal corporation limits.
Last month, the state government decided to retail onion and other vegetables through cooperative stores.
The government also decided to open 25 more farmer markets - where farmers can sell their produce directly - in the state, taking the number to 179.
According to officials, currently vegetables worth around Rs.3.4 crore are daily traded by the growers and around 400,000 customers frequent the farmer markets across the state.
The state government also decided to draw out plans to increase production of pulses and oil seeds, modernise agriculture product markets and set up cold storages.
The meeting decided to study the productivity of various districts in respect of paddy and other crops and take appropriate action to increase their production.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!