State-wide agitation if 20% reservation not implemented: PMK
Kancheepuram: The PMK, a backward Vanniyar community backed party, has warned of a state-wide agitation if the Tamil Nadu government does not implement 20 per cent reservation for them in educational institutions and jobs and caste-based census enumeration.
"The PMK will launch the next phase of its agitation all over the state if our demands are not met by the state government," Anbumani Ramadoss, son of party founder leader
S Ramadoss, said.
Addressing a rally here yesterday, he demanded that the DMK government initiate the process of collecting caste wise data and complete it within a timeframe. After doing so, they should arrive at the percentage of reservation as suggested by the Supreme Court recently while hearing a batch of petitions, questioning validity of 69 per cent reservations in Tamil Nadu and also in Karnataka, he said.
If no steps were taken, PMK might be forced to resort to other means of protest like in 1987 "when the entire state came to a standstill due to our agitation," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble