State-wide agitation if 20% reservation not implemented: PMK
Kancheepuram: The PMK, a backward Vanniyar community backed party, has warned of a state-wide agitation if the Tamil Nadu government does not implement 20 per cent reservation for them in educational institutions and jobs and caste-based census enumeration.
"The PMK will launch the next phase of its agitation all over the state if our demands are not met by the state government," Anbumani Ramadoss, son of party founder leader
S Ramadoss, said.
Addressing a rally here yesterday, he demanded that the DMK government initiate the process of collecting caste wise data and complete it within a timeframe. After doing so, they should arrive at the percentage of reservation as suggested by the Supreme Court recently while hearing a batch of petitions, questioning validity of 69 per cent reservations in Tamil Nadu and also in Karnataka, he said.
If no steps were taken, PMK might be forced to resort to other means of protest like in 1987 "when the entire state came to a standstill due to our agitation," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Matt Damon is back, check out terrific 'Jason Bourne' poster!
- '4 am airport spotting', Neha Dhupia slays in Sepia!-- See pic
- Chinese President Xi Jinping urges caution over US missile deployment in South Korea
- 7th Pay Commission: Auto makers expect spurt in sales
- 'Star Trek Beyond' to hit Indian screens on July 22!