State-wide agitation if 20% reservation not implemented: PMK
Kancheepuram: The PMK, a backward Vanniyar community backed party, has warned of a state-wide agitation if the Tamil Nadu government does not implement 20 per cent reservation for them in educational institutions and jobs and caste-based census enumeration.
"The PMK will launch the next phase of its agitation all over the state if our demands are not met by the state government," Anbumani Ramadoss, son of party founder leader
S Ramadoss, said.
Addressing a rally here yesterday, he demanded that the DMK government initiate the process of collecting caste wise data and complete it within a timeframe. After doing so, they should arrive at the percentage of reservation as suggested by the Supreme Court recently while hearing a batch of petitions, questioning validity of 69 per cent reservations in Tamil Nadu and also in Karnataka, he said.
If no steps were taken, PMK might be forced to resort to other means of protest like in 1987 "when the entire state came to a standstill due to our agitation," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town