States can reduce VAT on petrol: Narayanasamy
Chennai: Amid the mounting pressure for rollback of petrol price hike, Minister of State in the PMO V Narayanasamy has said states could reduce the Value Added Tax (VAT) on petroleum products to provide relief to the people.
"The states can lower the VAT and that can help reduce the petrol price," he told reporters at the airport here on Saturday night.
The latest hike in petrol price by Rs 7.50 has come under flak from opposition and also key UPA allies DMK and Trinamool.
On Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa writing to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh demanding more kerosene allocation to the state, he said, "There has been an increase in the LPG allotment to the state. However, the Centre will look into Tamil Nadu`s demand (for kerosene)."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31