States should abide by CRA: Karunanidhi
Chennai: DMK President M Karunanidhi on Wednesday said riparian states should abide by the Cauvery River Authority and nobody should violate the decision taken by it without any "valid reasons".
Noting his long time vision was that Tamil Nadu and Karnataka should have `friendly ties`, Karunanidhi said he was firm on the decision that there should not be any "unnecessary problems" between the two States.
"I do not want to accuse any of the state governments in this matter", he told reporters responding to a query.
Observing that the CRA was formed with the help of the Union Government as per the flow of the Cauvery in the areas belonging to the respective states, Karunanidhi said, the states (Karnataka and Tamil Nadu) should honour their agreement to abide by the decision of the Authority.
"This decision to abide by the Authority was taken when it was formed and no one should violate it without any valid reasons", he said.
As the wrangling between the two states persisted over sharing of water, the Supreme Court had recently suggested that both chief ministers should hold talks and reach an amicable settlement. However, the talks between the two chief ministers failed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!