Steps being taken to set up Cauvery Management Board: Jaya
Srirangam: Asserting that she has upheld the rights of Tamil Nadu in Cauvery issue by getting the final order of the inter-state water dispute tribunal published in central gazette, Chief Minister Jayalaithaa on Monday said steps were being taken to set up the Cauvery Management Board to give effect to the tribunal`s verdict.
"I have established the rights of people of Tamil Nadu by getting the central gazette notification on the tribunal final order issued through legal battle.. And now steps are being taken to form the CMB," she said in this temple town, her Assembly constituency which falls in the Cauvery delta region.
Addressing a public meeting after inaugurating various schemes and laying foundation for new ones, she also said steps were being taken to increase the water level on the Mullaperiyar Dam to 142 feet as per the Supreme Court verdict.
A three-member panel was being constituted with representatives from Tamil Nadu, Kerala and the Union Government. The members from Tamil Nadu and Kerala had already been named and the Centre had agreed to announce its member shortly, she added.
Incidentally, Jayalalithaa met Prime Minister Narendra Modi when he made a stop-over in Chennai on his way to Sriharikota for the launch of PSLV C23 today and return to New Delhi.
Stating that she had implemented projects worth Rs.2,185.71 crore in Srirangam constituency so far, she said "false propaganda" by the opposition against her were not believed by the people, who stood with her and helped her get a grand victory in the Lok Sabha elections.
She said though she had been doing her duty to the People and establishing the rights of the state, opposition parties were spreading lies against her and People understood this..
She announced 200 students would be admitted to the National Law School here this year, against 100 last year.
Jayalalithaa inaugurated schemes to the tune of Rs.193.14 crore, laid the foundation stone for schemes to be implemented at a cost of Rs.171.27 crore and distributed welfare assistance worth Rs.63.49 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’