Steps being taken to set up Cauvery Management Board: Jaya
Srirangam: Asserting that she has upheld the rights of Tamil Nadu in Cauvery issue by getting the final order of the inter-state water dispute tribunal published in central gazette, Chief Minister Jayalaithaa on Monday said steps were being taken to set up the Cauvery Management Board to give effect to the tribunal`s verdict.
"I have established the rights of people of Tamil Nadu by getting the central gazette notification on the tribunal final order issued through legal battle.. And now steps are being taken to form the CMB," she said in this temple town, her Assembly constituency which falls in the Cauvery delta region.
Addressing a public meeting after inaugurating various schemes and laying foundation for new ones, she also said steps were being taken to increase the water level on the Mullaperiyar Dam to 142 feet as per the Supreme Court verdict.
A three-member panel was being constituted with representatives from Tamil Nadu, Kerala and the Union Government. The members from Tamil Nadu and Kerala had already been named and the Centre had agreed to announce its member shortly, she added.
Incidentally, Jayalalithaa met Prime Minister Narendra Modi when he made a stop-over in Chennai on his way to Sriharikota for the launch of PSLV C23 today and return to New Delhi.
Stating that she had implemented projects worth Rs.2,185.71 crore in Srirangam constituency so far, she said "false propaganda" by the opposition against her were not believed by the people, who stood with her and helped her get a grand victory in the Lok Sabha elections.
She said though she had been doing her duty to the People and establishing the rights of the state, opposition parties were spreading lies against her and People understood this..
She announced 200 students would be admitted to the National Law School here this year, against 100 last year.
Jayalalithaa inaugurated schemes to the tune of Rs.193.14 crore, laid the foundation stone for schemes to be implemented at a cost of Rs.171.27 crore and distributed welfare assistance worth Rs.63.49 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Bankruptcy law credit positive for banks: Moody's
- Indonesia's Mount Sinabung continues eruption
- Congress, BJP quote Mirza Ghalib to spar over Modi govt's two years in power
- Renault forays into pre-owned car biz in India
- When Luna the husky demanded belly rubs during car ride – Watch the adorable moment!