Strike over Mullaperiyar dam evokes mix response
Thiruvananthapuram: A dawn to dusk state-wide hartal called Wednesday by a forum supporting Kerala`s stand on constructing a new dam was total in Idukki district, where the 116-year old dam is situated and was partial in other parts of the state.
Shops, business establishments and schools remained closed in Idukki district. Buses and autorickshaws were off the roads and the hartal called by Mullaperiyar Samrakshna
Samithi disrupted normal life in the district.
The hartal was in protest against Centre`s attitude towards the state demand for constructing a new dam in place of the existing structure, over which Kerala and Tamil Nadu
have a long pending dispute.
No untoward incident was reported so far from the district, police sources said.
However, response to hartal in other parts of the state was
partial and lukewarm. Shops and traders opened their
establishments and private and government buses were
conducting services as usual.
Some of the educational institutions including professional
colleges in the state had declared a holiday in view of the
hartal. Universities had also postponed examinations scheduled for the day. Public Service Commission had also postponed an interview scheduled for the day.
Kerala Congress (M), the third largest component in Congress-led ruling UDF, has also pledged its "moral support"
to the hartal.
Though one month had elapsed after an all-party
delegation from Kerala met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in
Delhi, the Centre had not taken any effective steps in the
matter, the hartal supporters said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly