Student attempts self-immolation
Coimbatore: Dejected over not getting any response from a bank on his application for education loan, a student on Monday attempted to self-immolate on the premises of the district collectorate in nearby Tirupur.
The student had applied for an education loan to pursue his BEd course some months ago. However, despite many inquiries there was no response from the bank and the student, hailing from Vellakoil in Tirupur district, was found depressed, police said.
The student came with a kerosene can and doused with it in front of the collectorate, where large number of petitioners were gathered, being the grievances day today, police said.
However, police on security duty overpowered him and foiled his attempt for immolation, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets 2000 km strategic road for development
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Traditional Indian diet dramatically cuts Alzheimer's risk
- Carnage in Florida: KL Rahul, Evin Lewis tons laid foundation for West Indies-India T20I run mountain
- Over 34,500 criminals sentenced in 1 year in UP: DGP(Prosecution)
- Venezuela sends opposition leader back to jail, expels Ecuadoran lawmakers
- Burhan Wani's father meets Sri Sri Ravi Shankar