Student attempts self-immolation
Coimbatore: Dejected over not getting any response from a bank on his application for education loan, a student on Monday attempted to self-immolate on the premises of the district collectorate in nearby Tirupur.
The student had applied for an education loan to pursue his BEd course some months ago. However, despite many inquiries there was no response from the bank and the student, hailing from Vellakoil in Tirupur district, was found depressed, police said.
The student came with a kerosene can and doused with it in front of the collectorate, where large number of petitioners were gathered, being the grievances day today, police said.
However, police on security duty overpowered him and foiled his attempt for immolation, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon