Student attempts self-immolation
Coimbatore: Dejected over not getting any response from a bank on his application for education loan, a student on Monday attempted to self-immolate on the premises of the district collectorate in nearby Tirupur.
The student had applied for an education loan to pursue his BEd course some months ago. However, despite many inquiries there was no response from the bank and the student, hailing from Vellakoil in Tirupur district, was found depressed, police said.
The student came with a kerosene can and doused with it in front of the collectorate, where large number of petitioners were gathered, being the grievances day today, police said.
However, police on security duty overpowered him and foiled his attempt for immolation, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren