Students go on the rampage to protest fee hike
Coimbatore: Protesting proposed hike in hostel
fees, irate students of a leading engineeging college here set on fire books, furniture and some bicycles in the hostel, police said Friday.
Students alleged that the management of the PSG College of Technology had increased the rent for ordinary hostel room to Rs 19,000, putting an additional burden of rs 5,000 on a student.
Shouting slogans against the management, the students
also allegedly ransacked the hostel warden`s room last night.
Senior police officials, including city police
commissioner, Amaresh Pujari, rushed to the spot to bring the
situation under control.
College sources said the management and students held
negotiations and the proposed hike was withdrawn late last
About 100 policemen, deployed in the hostel premises, were
withdrawn following the decision, police said, adding, no
complaints had been lodged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karan Johar visits 'Befikre' sets, gets emotional cherishing 'Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge' days!
- Bizarre: Man puts wife at stake in IPL gambling, loses her
- Awesome! Taapsee Pannu gives a dose of royal purple to her gorgeous tresses! – See pic
- Stunner Shilpa Shetty gives ultimate 'summer fashion' goals in crisp white!
- Is Delhi on terror radar? This week's bus explosion in Haryana hints at 'something big'