Students protest against Narendra Modi’s meet at Madras University
Chennai: A section of students of the Madras University on Thursday staged a protest against permission accorded to a function at the varsity campus Friday in which BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi will participate.
Modi is scheduled to deliver the 2013 Nani Palkhivala memorial lecture at the University of Madras`s Centenary Auditorium.
He will also release BJP leader Arun Shourie`s book `Self-deception: India China policies.`
Alleging harassment by police "in the name of security" to Modi, students shouted slogans decrying permission for the meeting.
Earlier, the function was slated to be held at Music Academy on Dr Radhakrishnan Road.
However, the venue was later shifted to the university centenary auditorium reportedly for security reasons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed