Submerged temple tower visible in Dhanushkodi
Rameswaram (TN): Over four decades after
tidal waves ruined Dhanushkodi, in the southern tip of this
island, some parts of the submerged town are now visible
indicating that the sea is receding, local fishermen said.
The top portion of the tower of a Ganesh temple which
went under sea was now visible, says octogenarian `Neechal`
Kali, a witness to the 1964 tragedy.
Recalling the tidal wave disaster, Kali, who saved many
people then, said vast stretches of Dhanushkodi town, 26 km
from here, went under the sea as the 20-foot waves rushed into
the town for about one km stretch.
"It is surprising that the top portion of the Ganesh tower
which remained submerged is visible. I saw it on last Amavasya
day (May 13) and for some days that followed. I am not an
expert, but from what I observe, I think the sea is slowly
going back to its original position," he said.
"I used to play near that Ganesh temple, when I was young.
The tower is visible now at a location that will be about one
km from the shore. All these years I did not see it. Now I am
happy I could see it. If I could see the entire building that
went under the sea I will be happy," Kali said.
Ramanathapuram district officials said they had been
informed about the sighting of the temple tower by fishermen
and were now ascertaining it with various sources.
Dhanushkodi, a holy place for Hindu pilgrims, was ruined
by giant waves triggered by a cyclone on December 24, 1964,
which also swept away a train load of 200 passengers.
Now Dhanushkodi can be reached on foot along sea shore or
in jeeps traversing across sand dunes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- When Muslim dies they give 20 lakhs, but Hindu doesn't even get 20,000: Sakshi Maharaj
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen