Suspect Singapore-flagged ship reaches Chennai
Chennai: The Singapore-flagged cargo ship,
suspected to have been involved in the March 1 hit-and-run sea
mishap off the Kerala coast that left three Indian fishermen
dead, arrived here on Monday complying with a directive by the
DGS to assist in the probe into the incident.
The ship "M V Prabhu Daya" entered the outer anchorage
area of Chennai Port around 11.30 pm and was expected to be
berthed in the early hours tomorrow, port sources said.
Inspection of the ship and investigations into the
incident were expected to commence tomorrow after the vessel
was berthed, they said.
M V Prabhu Daya, which had left Goa for China via
Trincomalee in Sri Lanka and Singapore with its consignment of
iron ore, was asked by the Director General of Shipping (DGS)
to report to the Chennai port as it was one of the vessels
sailing in the vicinity when the hit-and-run incident
involving the Indian fishing boat Don 1 occurred.
Two fishermen were killed on March 1 in the incident and
three others went missing. The body of another fisherman was
recovered yesterday from the wreckage of the boat.
The collision had shocked the fishing community in Kollam
district of Kerala as it happened within two weeks after two
fishermen were shot dead allegedly by marines onboard Italian
merchant ship Enrica Lexie.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!