Suspected LTTE cadre detained under NSA
Rameswaram: A suspected member of outlawed LTTE, arrested last month for illegally entering the country through the sea route here, was on Thursday detained under the National Security Act, officials said.
District Collector K.Nandhakumar ordered the detention of P Suresh, a Sri Lankan Tamil, under NSA accepting a recommendation of Q Branch Police which deals with extremist outfits.
The recommendation was made after Suresh refused to reveal the name and whereabouts of another person who had accompanied him and is still at large. His adamancy might prove to be a threat to national security and hence the detention under NSA, officials said.
Suresh, accompanied by another person, had arrived in a fibre glass boat at Kuravar Thoppu near Mandapam here on July 23 and was arrested in Pattukottai last month.
Based on his interrogation, police had recovered the engine of the abandoned boat and diesel can which had been buried by the duo on arrival at the coast near Mandapam.
Suresh would be lodged at the high-security Puzhal Central Prison in Chennai, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- IIFA diaries: Athiya Shetty basking under Spanish sun!
- Vodafone to file prospectus for IPO in August, plans to raise $2.5 billion: Sources
- Shooting World Cup: Gagan Narang, Abhinav Bindra Disappoint in Finals
- Hailstorms, rain, tornado kill 51 persons in eastern China, dozens injured
- 'Over 400 Indians lodged in Pakistani jails till July'15'