Suspected LTTE cadre detained under NSA
Rameswaram: A suspected member of outlawed LTTE, arrested last month for illegally entering the country through the sea route here, was on Thursday detained under the National Security Act, officials said.
District Collector K.Nandhakumar ordered the detention of P Suresh, a Sri Lankan Tamil, under NSA accepting a recommendation of Q Branch Police which deals with extremist outfits.
The recommendation was made after Suresh refused to reveal the name and whereabouts of another person who had accompanied him and is still at large. His adamancy might prove to be a threat to national security and hence the detention under NSA, officials said.
Suresh, accompanied by another person, had arrived in a fibre glass boat at Kuravar Thoppu near Mandapam here on July 23 and was arrested in Pattukottai last month.
Based on his interrogation, police had recovered the engine of the abandoned boat and diesel can which had been buried by the duo on arrival at the coast near Mandapam.
Suresh would be lodged at the high-security Puzhal Central Prison in Chennai, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days