Suspected mastermind behind looting jewellery surrenders
Madurai:A youth, suspected to be mastermind behind looting gold jewellery from Muthoot Financial Corporation office here earlier in October, surrendered before a magistrate court here, police said today.
A Selvin, surrendered on 16 October, had been remanded to judicial custody, police said.
A five-member gang had on October five kidnapped two employees of the Kerala-based private finance firm and looted 37 kg of gold valued at Rs 10 crore from its locker after stealing the keys of its branch office here.
The gang first kidnapped Balasubramanian, manager of the branch and snatched a set of locker keys from him. Then they summoned assistant manager Sathish Kumar, who was holding another set of keys, using Balasubramanian.
When he arrived, the gang detained the two employees inside their car, switched off the alarm system, and robbed the cash and jewels from the locker.
The employees were let-off the next day on the outskirts of Madurai.
Police had formed special teams in search of the gang.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources