Take steps to ensure Tamil refugees live `honorably` in island
Chennai: BJP`s Tamil Nadu unit on Sunday said Centre
and State government should take steps to enable Sri Lankan
Tamil refugees living in the state to lead an `honourable` life
in the island nation rather than offering Indian citizenship
The ultimate aim should be to help the refugees live
"honourably" in their respective places in Sri Lanka,BJP State
unit Vice-President H Raja told reporters after the party`s
state Executive Committee meeting here.
His reaction comes in the wake of Union Home Minister P
Chidambaram saying the Centre would consider a proposal by
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi to grant Indian
citizenship to Sri Lankan Tamil refugees living in the state.
On Centre reportedly allowing Kerala to undertake a survey
on building a new dam to replace the existing 112-year-old
Mullaperiyar Dam, he said `The move would only provoke Tamil
The Tamil Nadu government was opposed to construction of a
new dam across Mullaperiyar and a case in this regard was
pending before the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof