Take steps to ensure Tamil refugees live `honorably` in island
Chennai: BJP`s Tamil Nadu unit on Sunday said Centre
and State government should take steps to enable Sri Lankan
Tamil refugees living in the state to lead an `honourable` life
in the island nation rather than offering Indian citizenship
The ultimate aim should be to help the refugees live
"honourably" in their respective places in Sri Lanka,BJP State
unit Vice-President H Raja told reporters after the party`s
state Executive Committee meeting here.
His reaction comes in the wake of Union Home Minister P
Chidambaram saying the Centre would consider a proposal by
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi to grant Indian
citizenship to Sri Lankan Tamil refugees living in the state.
On Centre reportedly allowing Kerala to undertake a survey
on building a new dam to replace the existing 112-year-old
Mullaperiyar Dam, he said `The move would only provoke Tamil
The Tamil Nadu government was opposed to construction of a
new dam across Mullaperiyar and a case in this regard was
pending before the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!