Take steps to ensure Tamil refugees live `honorably` in island
Chennai: BJP`s Tamil Nadu unit on Sunday said Centre
and State government should take steps to enable Sri Lankan
Tamil refugees living in the state to lead an `honourable` life
in the island nation rather than offering Indian citizenship
The ultimate aim should be to help the refugees live
"honourably" in their respective places in Sri Lanka,BJP State
unit Vice-President H Raja told reporters after the party`s
state Executive Committee meeting here.
His reaction comes in the wake of Union Home Minister P
Chidambaram saying the Centre would consider a proposal by
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi to grant Indian
citizenship to Sri Lankan Tamil refugees living in the state.
On Centre reportedly allowing Kerala to undertake a survey
on building a new dam to replace the existing 112-year-old
Mullaperiyar Dam, he said `The move would only provoke Tamil
The Tamil Nadu government was opposed to construction of a
new dam across Mullaperiyar and a case in this regard was
pending before the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them