Talks with SL could prevent arrest of TN fishermen: MoS PMO
Chennai: The talks between fishermen`s representatives of Tamil Nadu and Sri Lanka on January 27 be an opportunity to prevent arrest of fishermen from this state and seizure of their boats by the island nation`s naval personnel, Minister of State for PMO V Narayanasamy said on Sunday.
"The talks on January 27 will help arrive at an understanding between fishermen of Sri Lanka and Tamil Nadu upto where they can go for fishing," he told reporters at the airport here.
Besides the talks would be an ideal platform to prevent the (alleged) attack on Tamil Nadu fishermen and seizure of their boats by the Sri Lankan Navy, he said.
He said the decision to convene a meeting between fishermen associations of Sri Lanka and Tamil Nadu were taken after requests for a permanent solution from leaders of fishermen from Vedharanyam and Karaikal districts.
"Based on their request only did we decide to convene the meeting (between the fishermen associations)", he said.
Asked about Congress stand in the February 7 Rajya Sabha polls in the state in view of DMK already announcing its candidate, he said it was upto Congress President Sonia Gandhi to decide on the party`s stand.
DMK, a former ally of the ruling UPA, announced that `Tiruchi` R Siva as its candidate for the RS polls.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today