Talks with SL could prevent arrest of TN fishermen: MoS PMO
Chennai: The talks between fishermen`s representatives of Tamil Nadu and Sri Lanka on January 27 be an opportunity to prevent arrest of fishermen from this state and seizure of their boats by the island nation`s naval personnel, Minister of State for PMO V Narayanasamy said on Sunday.
"The talks on January 27 will help arrive at an understanding between fishermen of Sri Lanka and Tamil Nadu upto where they can go for fishing," he told reporters at the airport here.
Besides the talks would be an ideal platform to prevent the (alleged) attack on Tamil Nadu fishermen and seizure of their boats by the Sri Lankan Navy, he said.
He said the decision to convene a meeting between fishermen associations of Sri Lanka and Tamil Nadu were taken after requests for a permanent solution from leaders of fishermen from Vedharanyam and Karaikal districts.
"Based on their request only did we decide to convene the meeting (between the fishermen associations)", he said.
Asked about Congress stand in the February 7 Rajya Sabha polls in the state in view of DMK already announcing its candidate, he said it was upto Congress President Sonia Gandhi to decide on the party`s stand.
DMK, a former ally of the ruling UPA, announced that `Tiruchi` R Siva as its candidate for the RS polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: Today in History, 24th September, 2016
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi