Tamil Nadu Assembly Speaker resigns
Chennai: In a surprise development, Tamil Nadu Assembly Speaker D Jayakumar resigned from his post on Saturday.
Jayakumar, elected from Royapuram in Chennai, resigned from office with immediate effect, an official communique said, without assigning any reasons.
The functions of the Speaker would be performed by Deputy Speaker P Dhanapal.
Jayakumar, an advocate, became Speaker after the AIADMK led by Jayalalithaa stormed back to power in May last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack