Tamil Nadu Assembly Speaker resigns
Chennai: In a surprise development, Tamil Nadu Assembly Speaker D Jayakumar resigned from his post on Saturday.
Jayakumar, elected from Royapuram in Chennai, resigned from office with immediate effect, an official communique said, without assigning any reasons.
The functions of the Speaker would be performed by Deputy Speaker P Dhanapal.
Jayakumar, an advocate, became Speaker after the AIADMK led by Jayalalithaa stormed back to power in May last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police