Tamil Nadu Assembly Speaker resigns
Chennai: In a surprise development, Tamil Nadu Assembly Speaker D Jayakumar resigned from his post on Saturday.
Jayakumar, elected from Royapuram in Chennai, resigned from office with immediate effect, an official communique said, without assigning any reasons.
The functions of the Speaker would be performed by Deputy Speaker P Dhanapal.
Jayakumar, an advocate, became Speaker after the AIADMK led by Jayalalithaa stormed back to power in May last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Here are some tips to style yourself in a Boho outfit
- It is inexcusable that Leander Paes reached Rio a day before doubles match: Mahesh Bhupathi
- Stopping exercise for 10 days decreases brain blood flow
- Learn it from Japan – It runs a train for single passenger! Know why
- Subramanian Swamy calls LG Najeeb Jung a “420 like Kejriwal”