Tamil Nadu assembly votes to revive Upper House
Chennai: The Tamil Nadu assembly Monday passed a resolution to revive the legislative council or the upper house of the state legislature.
The resolution, put to vote at the insistence of the opposition parties, was passed with 155 votes in favour and 61 against. The state`s legislative council was abolished in 1986.
Surprise support by PMK members gave the major push to the resolution which the ruling alliance partners DMK, Congress and VCK were already supporting.
Those who voted against the resolution were the AIADMK, the Communist Party of India-Marxist and the MDMK.
AIADMK general secretary and Leader of the Opposition J. Jayalalithaa and DMDK chief Vijayakant were absent during the voting.
Similarly, two rebel AIADMK legislators also did not participate in the voting.
The Communist Party of India walked out of the house, protesting the introduction of the resolution.
Introducing the resolution, Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi said that upper house would function inside the new assembly building and the cost involved for running the council will not be high.
Revival of the upper house was one of the promises the DMK made in the run-up to the 2006 assembly elections.
The party was not successful in reviving the council when it was in power in 1989-91 and 1996-2001 as it did not command a two-thirds majority in the assembly.
In the past, two members of the council have become chief ministers.
In 1952, C. Rajagopalachari was nominated to the council so that he could become chief minister. In 1967, DMK founder CN Annadurai became the chief minister and then became a council member.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city