Tamil Nadu bans manufacture, sale of gutkha and pa
Chennai: Tamil Nadu government has issued an order banning manufacture and sale of gutkha, pan masala and all other products containing nicotine and tobacco.
Relevant regulations of the Food and Safety Standards (Prohibition and Restrictions on Sales) Regulations, 2011, made by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India and the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 (Central Act of 34) provided that tobacco and nicotine shall not be used as ingredients in any food products as they were injurious to health, a recent government order (GO) said.
"And whereas, gutkha and pan masala are food products in which tobacco and nicotine are widely used as ingredients now-a-days," the GO was issued, Commissioner of Food Safety, Kumar Jayant, said.
"Now, therefore, in exercise of the powers conferred by clause (a) of sub-section (2) of Section 30 of Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006, the Commissioner of Food Safety of the state of Tamil Nadu, in the interest of public health, hereby prohibits the manufacture, storage, distribution or sale of gutkha and pan masala and any other food products containing tobacco or nicotine as ingredients," it said.
The ban was against such products in whatsoever name they were available in the market across Tamil Nadu for a period of one year from the date of issue of this order, the GO dated May 23, 2013 said.
Making a suo motu statement in the assembly on May 8, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had referred to Supreme Court`s remarks in a case pending before it seeking to know the action taken by state governments in controlling usage of tobacco, and had announced the government`s decision of banning those products in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year