Tamil Nadu-born Venkatraman receives Nobel Prize in Chemistry
Stockholm: Tamil Nadu-born Venkatraman
Ramakrishnan, one of the three winners of this year`s Nobel
Prize in Chemistry, today received the prize at a gala
ceremony here along with other recipients.
The other Nobel laureates in literature, economics,
physics and medicine also received their prizes from Swedish
King Carl XVI Gustaf at a formal event in Stockholm`s Concert
Hall. A record five women were awarded the Nobel this year.
Born in 1952 in Chidambaram and a senior scientist at the
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology at Cambridge, Ramakrishnan
shared the Nobel prize with Thomas E Steitz (US) and Ada E
Yonath (Israel) for their "studies of the structure and
function of the ribosome".
"This year`s Nobel Prize in Chemistry awards Venkatraman
Ramakrishnan, Thomas A Steitz and Ada E Yonath for having
showed what the ribosome looks like and how it functions at
atomic level," the Nobel committee had said in its citation.
All three have used a method called X-ray crystallography
to map the position for each and every one of the hundreds of
thousands of atoms that make up the ribosome, it said.
Ramakrishnan earned his B.Sc. in Physics (1971) from
Baroda University and his Ph.D. in Physics (1976) from Ohio
He moved into biology at the University of California,
San Diego, where he took a year of classes, then conducted
research with Dr Mauricio Montal, a membrane biochemist.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case