Tamil Nadu-born Venkatraman receives Nobel Prize in Chemistry
Stockholm: Tamil Nadu-born Venkatraman
Ramakrishnan, one of the three winners of this year`s Nobel
Prize in Chemistry, today received the prize at a gala
ceremony here along with other recipients.
The other Nobel laureates in literature, economics,
physics and medicine also received their prizes from Swedish
King Carl XVI Gustaf at a formal event in Stockholm`s Concert
Hall. A record five women were awarded the Nobel this year.
Born in 1952 in Chidambaram and a senior scientist at the
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology at Cambridge, Ramakrishnan
shared the Nobel prize with Thomas E Steitz (US) and Ada E
Yonath (Israel) for their "studies of the structure and
function of the ribosome".
"This year`s Nobel Prize in Chemistry awards Venkatraman
Ramakrishnan, Thomas A Steitz and Ada E Yonath for having
showed what the ribosome looks like and how it functions at
atomic level," the Nobel committee had said in its citation.
All three have used a method called X-ray crystallography
to map the position for each and every one of the hundreds of
thousands of atoms that make up the ribosome, it said.
Ramakrishnan earned his B.Sc. in Physics (1971) from
Baroda University and his Ph.D. in Physics (1976) from Ohio
He moved into biology at the University of California,
San Diego, where he took a year of classes, then conducted
research with Dr Mauricio Montal, a membrane biochemist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Toni Kroos rocket rescues Real Madrid in Cristiano Ronaldo's absence; Atletico Madrid held again
- Suspected Kurdish militants fire rockets at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport: Media
- Gun battle kills five militants, wounds 10 in Afghanistan
- Government to set up Rs 1.5k crore payment security fund for solar projects
- Rising dengue cases: PIL accuses govt of not being vigilant