Tamil Nadu Budget 2012 to be presented today
Chennai: The ruling AIADMK in Tamil Nadu is all set to spell out its strategy to manage the state`s finances for the year 2012-13 when it presents the budget on Monday.
Finance Minister O Panneerselvam will present the second budget of the AIADMK, marking the start of the month-long session of the Assembly, where Ministers will take up the demand for grants for their respective departments.
Last year, when AIADMK took over the ruling mantle from arch rival DMK after the April elections, Panneerselvam had presented his first budget of the size of Rs one lakh crore.
The Budget session starts exactly a week after the Jayalalithaa-led cabinet gave the go ahead for the controversial Kudankulam nuclear power plant even as the state
faces acute power shortage.
The Opposition is likely to take up the power cut issue, even as the Cauvery stand-off with Karnataka gains steam.
The state had moved the Supreme Court against utilising the river`s water for summer irrigation even as Karnataka had insisted that no injustice would be done to its farmers and criticised Tamil Nadu for moving the Apex Court.
AIADMK will have to face a combined opposition with former ally DMDK parting ways following a spat between Chief Minister Jayalalithaa and DMDK founder Vijayakant in the Assembly during the last session.
The Opposition Leader has been suspended, but he has challenged it in the court.
DMDK is expected to stick to its tag of main Opposition party and is likely to take on the government over issues like the Kudankulam controversy.
- Kerala polls: Time ripe for BJP to open account in the state, says Rajiv Pratap Rudy
- TMC will be wiped out after poll results: Congress
- Indian Premier League 2016: Kings XI Punjab's Axar Patel claims first hat-trick of ninth edition
- Petrol prices in major Indian cities after latest hike!
- IPL 2016: Axar Patel's four-wicket haul guides Kings XI Punjab to 23-run win over table-toppers Gujarat Lions