Tamil Nadu Budget 2012 to be presented today
Chennai: The ruling AIADMK in Tamil Nadu is all set to spell out its strategy to manage the state`s finances for the year 2012-13 when it presents the budget on Monday.
Finance Minister O Panneerselvam will present the second budget of the AIADMK, marking the start of the month-long session of the Assembly, where Ministers will take up the demand for grants for their respective departments.
Last year, when AIADMK took over the ruling mantle from arch rival DMK after the April elections, Panneerselvam had presented his first budget of the size of Rs one lakh crore.
The Budget session starts exactly a week after the Jayalalithaa-led cabinet gave the go ahead for the controversial Kudankulam nuclear power plant even as the state
faces acute power shortage.
The Opposition is likely to take up the power cut issue, even as the Cauvery stand-off with Karnataka gains steam.
The state had moved the Supreme Court against utilising the river`s water for summer irrigation even as Karnataka had insisted that no injustice would be done to its farmers and criticised Tamil Nadu for moving the Apex Court.
AIADMK will have to face a combined opposition with former ally DMDK parting ways following a spat between Chief Minister Jayalalithaa and DMDK founder Vijayakant in the Assembly during the last session.
The Opposition Leader has been suspended, but he has challenged it in the court.
DMDK is expected to stick to its tag of main Opposition party and is likely to take on the government over issues like the Kudankulam controversy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users