Tamil Nadu celebrates Diwali with traditional fervour
Chennai: People in Tamil Nadu on Saturday woke up to the sounds of crackers on the occasion of Diwali, the festival of lights.
Children burst fire crackers and adults performed puja at home. People exchanged special Diwali Leghium-herbal jam, sweets and savouries with neighbours and relatives.
They called up their friends and relatives in India and abroad to wish them and ask, "Ganga Sthanam Aachha?"- is bathing with the water of holy Ganges over?
Just before the special sesame oil bath, the elder women in the family applied the `nalangu` paste-a mixture of turmeric powder and wet lime- on the feet of family members singing "Lakshmi Kalyanam Vaibhogame..."
After the oil bath, people put on new clothes and savoured some Diwali Leghium and other snacks. They then visited temples, relatives and friends.
"As usual on Diwali day, we got up early and started bursting crackers along with the kids. It is good to see people in a good mood and also lots of used cracker papers on the road," J Muralidharan, a public sector employee, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Attention TV lovers, we have a good news for 'Sarabhai vs Sarabhai' fans! - Read more
- News Television Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags best news channel website honour
- Say Whaaat! Winners of Sunny Leone, Rannvijay Singha's 'Splitsvilla 9' already decided?
- Google-backed transpacific submarine cable between US and Japan goes live today!
- WOAH! Gautam Gambhir absolutely destroys Ravi Shastri - Here are his scathing comments