Tamil Nadu celebrates Diwali with traditional fervour
Chennai: People in Tamil Nadu on Saturday woke up to the sounds of crackers on the occasion of Diwali, the festival of lights.
Children burst fire crackers and adults performed puja at home. People exchanged special Diwali Leghium-herbal jam, sweets and savouries with neighbours and relatives.
They called up their friends and relatives in India and abroad to wish them and ask, "Ganga Sthanam Aachha?"- is bathing with the water of holy Ganges over?
Just before the special sesame oil bath, the elder women in the family applied the `nalangu` paste-a mixture of turmeric powder and wet lime- on the feet of family members singing "Lakshmi Kalyanam Vaibhogame..."
After the oil bath, people put on new clothes and savoured some Diwali Leghium and other snacks. They then visited temples, relatives and friends.
"As usual on Diwali day, we got up early and started bursting crackers along with the kids. It is good to see people in a good mood and also lots of used cracker papers on the road," J Muralidharan, a public sector employee, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users