Tamil Nadu celebrates Pongal with sweet dish and thanksgiving
Chennai: The aroma of ghee and fried cashew wafted through homes in Tamil Nadu as people cooked the traditional Chakarai Pongal dish - made with rice, jaggery and milk - to celebrate the harvest festival of Pongal Saturday.
The four-day festival thanking the rain, the sun and farm animals is a mini Diwali - minus the fire crackers.
The harvest festival is celebrated on the first day of the Tamil month of Thai and is hence also known as Thai Pongal.
People got up early in the morning, put on new clothes and went to temples where special prayers were held.
They cooked the traditional dishes of Chakarai Pongal, and the customary salted dish known as Ven Pongal, made with rice, dal and dollops of ghee and fried cashew.
People called out aloud `Pongolo Pongal, Pongolo Pongal` when raw rice and dal was added to the milk that was about to boil over.
In some houses, the conchshell was sounded out as part of the prayer.
Neighbours exchanged Chakarai Pongal and other dishes they had cooked for the festival.
On Saturday, a section of Tamilians in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry celebrated the Tamil New Year.
The DMK government in Tamil Nadu passed a law in 2008 stipulating the Tamil New Year be celebrated on the first day of Thai month.
Normally Tamil New Year is celebrated April 14, when the Tamil month Chithirai begins.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened