Tamil Nadu celebrates Pongal with sweet dish and thanksgiving
Chennai: The aroma of ghee and fried cashew wafted through homes in Tamil Nadu as people cooked the traditional Chakarai Pongal dish - made with rice, jaggery and milk - to celebrate the harvest festival of Pongal Saturday.
The four-day festival thanking the rain, the sun and farm animals is a mini Diwali - minus the fire crackers.
The harvest festival is celebrated on the first day of the Tamil month of Thai and is hence also known as Thai Pongal.
People got up early in the morning, put on new clothes and went to temples where special prayers were held.
They cooked the traditional dishes of Chakarai Pongal, and the customary salted dish known as Ven Pongal, made with rice, dal and dollops of ghee and fried cashew.
People called out aloud `Pongolo Pongal, Pongolo Pongal` when raw rice and dal was added to the milk that was about to boil over.
In some houses, the conchshell was sounded out as part of the prayer.
Neighbours exchanged Chakarai Pongal and other dishes they had cooked for the festival.
On Saturday, a section of Tamilians in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry celebrated the Tamil New Year.
The DMK government in Tamil Nadu passed a law in 2008 stipulating the Tamil New Year be celebrated on the first day of Thai month.
Normally Tamil New Year is celebrated April 14, when the Tamil month Chithirai begins.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery