Tamil Nadu Congress Committee revamped
New Delhi: Ahead of Lok Sabha elections, Congress on Saturday reconstituted the Tamil Nadu Congress Committee that includes Union ministers P Chidambaram, GK Vasan and Jayanthi Natarajan among others.
Union minister Sudarsana Natchiappan also finds a place in the list of the executive committee, approved by Congress chief Sonia Gandhi.
Besides seven Lok Sabha members from Tamil Nadu, former central ministers and ex-PCC chiefs are also part of the 43 executive committee, which has been revamped after a gap of over a decade.
The party has nominated 17 vice presidents, 29 general secretaries and 54 district presidents.
"The new office-bearers have been reconstituted after 12 years, while about 15 years in the case of some DCC presidents," Tamil Nadu Congress Committee president BS Gnanadesikan said.
He claimed that only seven among the existing DCC presidents were retained in the new list, in view of their performance.
Toeing the line of Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi, he said, preference has been given to people below the age of 50 years. "About 60 per cent among the new DCC presidents are below the age of 50 years," he said.
Asked whether the new list has been prepared to satisfy various factions in the party, he clarified that some office-bearers could be attached with senior leaders.
But, they were nominated based on their merits, he claimed.
Gnanadesikan further added that presidents for seven more districts including Kanyakumari are likely to be finalised within a week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'