Tamil Nadu Congress Committee revamped
New Delhi: Ahead of Lok Sabha elections, Congress on Saturday reconstituted the Tamil Nadu Congress Committee that includes Union ministers P Chidambaram, GK Vasan and Jayanthi Natarajan among others.
Union minister Sudarsana Natchiappan also finds a place in the list of the executive committee, approved by Congress chief Sonia Gandhi.
Besides seven Lok Sabha members from Tamil Nadu, former central ministers and ex-PCC chiefs are also part of the 43 executive committee, which has been revamped after a gap of over a decade.
The party has nominated 17 vice presidents, 29 general secretaries and 54 district presidents.
"The new office-bearers have been reconstituted after 12 years, while about 15 years in the case of some DCC presidents," Tamil Nadu Congress Committee president BS Gnanadesikan said.
He claimed that only seven among the existing DCC presidents were retained in the new list, in view of their performance.
Toeing the line of Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi, he said, preference has been given to people below the age of 50 years. "About 60 per cent among the new DCC presidents are below the age of 50 years," he said.
Asked whether the new list has been prepared to satisfy various factions in the party, he clarified that some office-bearers could be attached with senior leaders.
But, they were nominated based on their merits, he claimed.
Gnanadesikan further added that presidents for seven more districts including Kanyakumari are likely to be finalised within a week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read