Tamil Nadu cops face sexual assault probe
Chennai: A judicial inquiry is being conducted into the sexual assault charges made by four tribal women against Tamil Nadu policemen in Villupuram district, an official said on Sunday.
The Irula tribal women complained against policemen belonging to Tirukoilur police station in Villupuram district, around 150 km from here, said a police official.
"The judicial magistrate of Tirukoilur is conducting an inquiry on the complaint," Villupuram Superintendent of Police N Baskaran told a news agency.
The magistrate began his inquiry Sunday, police officials said.
On Saturday, police received a complaint from a woman alleging sexual assault by police officials in Tirukoilur police station.
Accoridng to police, six men were picked up by Tirukoilur police for house breaking and theft.
The women alleged that eight policemen subsequently also picked up the four women, related to the men, for inquiry.
According to the women four policemen had raped them.
Police officers told the agency that the women confessed that they had lodged false complaint in order to secure the release of the men held in custody.
It may be recalled that two months back, a special court in the state had convicted 269 accused for atrocities against the Dalits and 17 for rape in what is known as Vachathi case. A team of police and forest department personnel indulged in loot, arson and rape in Vachathi village in Dharmapuri district in June 1992.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...