Tamil Nadu cops face sexual assault probe
Chennai: A judicial inquiry is being conducted into the sexual assault charges made by four tribal women against Tamil Nadu policemen in Villupuram district, an official said on Sunday.
The Irula tribal women complained against policemen belonging to Tirukoilur police station in Villupuram district, around 150 km from here, said a police official.
"The judicial magistrate of Tirukoilur is conducting an inquiry on the complaint," Villupuram Superintendent of Police N Baskaran told a news agency.
The magistrate began his inquiry Sunday, police officials said.
On Saturday, police received a complaint from a woman alleging sexual assault by police officials in Tirukoilur police station.
Accoridng to police, six men were picked up by Tirukoilur police for house breaking and theft.
The women alleged that eight policemen subsequently also picked up the four women, related to the men, for inquiry.
According to the women four policemen had raped them.
Police officers told the agency that the women confessed that they had lodged false complaint in order to secure the release of the men held in custody.
It may be recalled that two months back, a special court in the state had convicted 269 accused for atrocities against the Dalits and 17 for rape in what is known as Vachathi case. A team of police and forest department personnel indulged in loot, arson and rape in Vachathi village in Dharmapuri district in June 1992.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra